ALLArticles en FrançaisDESIGNECO-CONSCIENCEPosts in English

Piñatex ou l’alternative au cuir

By

Claire

I do my best to avoid meat in my diet, and a brand new leather bag is not on my shopping list. Just like new PETA (People for Ethical Treatments of Animals) video, I kinda see dead animals under all those heavily treated skins displayed in shops. Good thing is, we can start consuming different with Piñatex!

While we were all dressed up in leather from our last mammoth hunt, people in Philippines were weaving pineapple and banana leafs fibres. That is where, in 2000, Dr Carmen Hijosa had the idea of her new material : Piñatex™!

A natural, sustainable and ethical non-woven material made from a by-product of the pineapple harvest, creating a great opportunity for Philippin farmers and vegan shoppers.

 

Je ne mange (presque) plus de viande et l’achat d’un sac en cuir tout neuf n’est pas sur ma liste. Tout comme la nouvelle video de PETA mettant en scène des animaux écorchés dans les rayons des magasins, j’ai tendance à visualiser l’animal mort sous les beaux cuirs luisants, qui ont certainement subi des traitements chimiques lourds dans des pays ou la législation est parfois peu regardante en matière de souffrance animale et de pollution. Mais il est possible de penser différemment et d’abandonner cette vielle habitude préhistorique. Au temps ou nous courrions après les mammouth dans nos jolies culottes en cuir, la lance à la main, les Philippins tissaient déjà les fibres de bananiers et d’ananas. Et c’est là-bas, dans les années 2000, que Carmen Hijosa a trouvé le concept de Piñatex™ : une surface non-tissée, fabriqué à partir des feuilles non utilisées des plants d’ananas, décortiquées en fibres par le fermier Philippin lui-même. Une nouvelle alternative pour l’agriculteur, et pour le consommateur vegan.

6

 

8

 

14

 

18

 

Piñatex works hand in hand with Philippin farmers and supports their community. Result is, no extra land, water, fertilisers or chemicals are utilised in Piñatex production. And the farmers can propose a second viable material out of their plants.

The fibres leftovers from the decortication can then be used as a natural fertilizer by the farmers, or be fermented and transformed into biogas, a sustainable energy!

 

Piñatex travaille de pair avec les agriculteurs Philippins et soutien leur communauté. Le résultat est un nouveau produit à proposer, sans ajout de terres, d’eau, de fertilisants ou produits chimiques à leur production. Les résidus de la décortication des fibres peuvent être utilisés comme fertilisant naturel, ou être fermentés et produire du biogaz, une énergie verte! Les fibres sont ensuite transformées industriellement et finies en Espagne, pays d’origine de la créatrice.

 

22

 

The fibres are then industrially transformed into non-woven material and finished in Spain.

 

Piñatex can be bought at a competitive price, online, directly to Carmen Hijosa’s label Ananas Anam. It’s “composition : 80% pineapple leaves fibres, 20% PLA fibres” made me look through the internet and I could find out that PLA are fibers extracted from corn, a 100% natural and biodegradable material. Awesome!

Piñatex is entirely animal free. To withstands all market requirements, it uses eco-friendly petroleum base binders and top-coatings.

Piñatex peut s’acheter en ligne à un prix compétitif, directement auprès de la marque Ananas Anam de Carmen Hijosa. En lisant la composition : “80% pineapple leaves fibres, 20% PLA fibres”, j’ai cherché ce qu’étaient ces mystérieux 20%, pour trouver qu’il s’agit d’une fibre entièrement naturelle et biodégradable faite à partir de maïs!

Piñatex se lave à la main, et pour répondre aux exigences du marché, le liant ainsi que la finition de surface sont dérivés du pétrole mais restent éco-friendly, sans substances animales ou nocives comme le PVC. 

Credits. Designed and made by Mayya Saliba 1 (2)

Carmen and her team’s vision is to extend this technology to more pineapple farms around the globe, and develop this innovative material aesthetic. Designers and makers have included the material into their creations and the look is very cool! I hope to be soon trying this material, consistent ally of my eco-conscious ethics.

Left : Design by Mayya Saliba

 

La vision de Carmen et de son équipe est d’étendre cette technologie à d’autres exploitants agricoles dans le monde et de développer cette matière innovante. Des designers et marques ont intégré Piñatex dans leur gamme, et le résultat est parlant! J’espère bientôt essayer ce matériau, en nouvel allié eco-conscient.

A gauche : Design par Mayya Saliba

Credits. Designed and made by Smith Matthias, Camper and Carmen Hijosa(2) - Photographed by The Guardian 2014

Designed and made by Smith Matthias Camper and Carmen Hijosa. Photographed by The Guardian, 2014.

 

Credits. Designed and made by Rombaut (9)

Designed and made by Rombaut.

 

Credits. Designed and made by Ally Capellino

Designed and made by Ally Capellino.

 

Images courtesy of Ananas Anam.

 


Do you like our articles?

You can receive them by email by subscribing to Sprayfun contact list here !

Vous appréciez ces articles? Recevez les par mail, en vous inscrivant sur notre liste de contacts ici !

No comments

Leave a Reply